Sunday, March 1, 2009

What to do with veggies

A few weeks ago someone came to church with this HUGE pan full of steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, not sure if there was anything else in there or not) that was given to them the night before at a dinner they cleaned up from.

We ate some of the veggies that week and froze the rest in bags to use later. Well, later has arrived and I need some suggestions on what to do with them. I don't think that they would be good just thawed and heated because I'm afraid that they would be mush.

Here are my thoughts...if anyone has any suggestions or opinions, let me know:

- make a cheese sauce like I would for cheesy potatoes and bake with a crispy topping (possibly do half potatoes and half veggies)
- make a corn casserole type thing with chopped up veggies - corn bread mix with egg, sour cream, and add some corn and bake.
- puree the vegetables and make some type of cream soup

I will be serving this for church next week since the vegetables were donated to the church. I have at least three gallon bags of these vegetables so we may get to try all of these options!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Those are all great ideas! What did you end up doing?

Amy said...

I ended up doing the cheese sauce that I do for cheesy potatoes and added potato chips on top.

Most of it was taken from the dish...I don't know that I can go as far as to say that it was eaten but people weren't afraid of trying it!

Only two more bags of it to go!