Thursday, March 19, 2009

Because of Winn-Dixie

by Kate DiCammillo

We finished this book this morning and all three of us really really liked it! 

It's a story of a ten year-old girl who has moved to Naomi, Florida, with her preacher father and claims a dog in the Winn-Dixie after he has knocked over a bunch of produce. She then names the dog after the grocery store. We get the story of the rest of her summer and the people that she meets "because of Winn-Dixie".

It's targeted to 9-12 year olds but we did well as a read-aloud with a 5 & 7 year old! The older one could have read it by himself but I'm so happy that I got to read it with them and not just heard about it from them.

There are great analogies in the book and good use of language...("Cars were rushing past us and their taillights glowed red like mean eyes starting at us.") I'm even making today's language arts lesson from the book. If I would have thought about it, we could have done some more with that, but we did more of just enjoying the book. 

Check it out and enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out. I wasn't impressed with the movie, but I know that movies can often be a poor reflection of the original story.
Glad to hear you and the boys enjoyed it!