Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spice of Life

Need a spice? I have been buying spices in bulk from Frontier Natural Products Co-op. I think that they are good spices. Generally you have to purchase them in 1 pound bags. I put them in small containers and freeze the rest. When I finish my small container, I re-fill from my freezer. If are interested in some, let me know and I will happily weigh some out for you. These are the spices that I have an cost per ounce.

Chili Powder (without salt)

$0.50

Cinnamon Ground (3%)

$0.40

Garlic Powder

$0.40

Yellow Mustard Seed Ground

$0.30

Cumin Seed Ground

$0.60

Muchi Curry Powder

$0.50

Oregano Leaf (organic)

$1.00

White Onion Powder

$0.40


An ounce would be about 1/4 cup except for the oregano which would be more because it's bulkier. (I included the cost of a snack bag and rounded to the nearest .10 to come up with the cost.)

I also have Vital Wheat Gluten for 3.25/pound. I just bought 25 pounds of it :)

If there's ever a spice you want and want to split it with me, let me know! These are yummy and very economical.  (Bay leaves are on my list to get soon.)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love frontier herbs! I do the same thing, but now am getting pretty low on my freezer store. I do have cumin and pepper on hand. Hopefully in the next day or two I will take stock of what I need and let you know if there is something we could split or I could buy from you. Thanks!