Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life is emerging

Yesterday was a fabulous February day. We hadn't had precipitation in quite awhile so I started attacking the garden area. I was so excited to find new life already! I think that one is some cilantro growing - it's where the cilantro was last year that didn't really do much. The pumpkin leaves took over and shaded it and then pretty much squelched it.










This is the ever faithful chives. The garlic chives are coming up too and I need to figure out how to use these more this year.









Today with the help of my friend, we planted peas in pretty much the entire garden plot and some salad stuff in another little area.

Yesterday I had some help thinning out and re-arranging the phlox in front. The labor fee was some starts of the phlox which was a great trade for me. I was excited to pull 5 gallons of pretty good looking compost out of the compost pile to help the transplanted guys flourish. The automatic composter is up and running again so hopefully we'll have lots of great compost to use the entire year.

I love the emergence of new life in the spring! I still remember as a kid hating the garden though. I am not sure all of the factors that contributed to my change of heart but it's an exciting time of hear to like dirt!

No comments: