Saturday, June 7, 2008

Garden Notes

I'm the worst at writing down those things that you always want to know next year...so I'm going to add some stuff to my blog. I'll probably bore the very few people that actually read this occasionally! (What is so strange is that my mom is the best at writing down everything, I just didn't pick that up from her.)

We ate peas this week for the first time...we've had a couple of pods Thurs, Friday and today to eat fresh out of the pod. Yum, yum, yum. There are lots of pods on so hopefully we'll get quite a few. It was really really hot today and will be again tomorrow so that's not so great for peas though.

We saw the first tomato actually on the plant today too! I never know how long it takes from the fruit coming on until they are ripe so here's my documentation! The plant was the cherry tomato so those typically grow the shortest amount of time.

This week we have been eating lettuce and some radishes from the garden too. They were planted in February and we are finally eating it! I can't believe it's taken so long to get to a place to eat them but it rained, rained, rained on the area and it was so cool for so long it's really amazing that in the end it's growing.

I have pumpkin plants growing multiple places in the yard that grew from compost and at least 20 volunteer tomato plants growing in the garden. I haven't had the heart to pull up the tomato plants just in case other things in the garden don't grow so well. I have pulled up a ton of what I believe to be cantaloupe plants that I expect have sprouted from compost. They could be cucumber as well, not sure. I just know that 20 of them can't grow in a space of 3 inches! I have a very nice looking tomato plant growing by the compost pile that we use during gardening season!

No comments: