Sunday, February 24, 2008

U2 - Classic Rock?


K-Mart's ad for this week had some "Classic Rock" specials. Now I wouldn't typically pay too much attention to this but one of the selections didn't seem to make sense. We could have played "One of these is not like the other one". There are four choices: AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard and U2?!?

What has the meaning of classic rock come to? Just because it was popular in the 80's doesn't mean that it's "Classic Rock" does it? U2 is so not a black concert t-shirt band of the 80's. I agree that once you are out of the era, there become fewer and fewer classifications of the music, but does U2 really have to be called Classic Rock?

I guess that this just makes me old, but I so was not a hair band (Guns N Roses) or a black concert t-shirt person. I was much more of the punk bent and so seeing my favorite bank labeled as "Classic Rock" just hurts! I'm definitely going to have to put some U2 in the CD player and listen to some "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

No comments: