Friday, June 29, 2007

New Holes = New Windows=Slightly Nervous

Next Tuesday we have hired people to come and cut two large holes in the concrete foundation of our house. I'm very much looking forward to the end result of having some windows in the basement for some natural light. Though I am a bit apprehensive about having some people come, cut two large holes to the outside and then packing up their things and leaving. It will then be up to "us" to fill those holes with something that first of all doesn't leak and then secondly looks presentable.

Todd's going for this on his own! I very much admire him for taking on the challenge but just for the record I am a little nervous. Maybe it's not just nervousness - it may be a lot more selfishness because these projects rarely take the time that is allotted - usually at least twice the time and more than a couple of trips to the hardware store. So while he is doing things to make our house that much better, I will have to find things for the boys to do outside of the playroom (because that's where the windows are going). It's not that I don't want to spend that time with the boys (oh and Tuesday is my work day), it's that I want to be the controlling person that I am and be in the middle of the excitement of the new windows as well.

The day after the holes are cut is the 4th of July and I really don't want to have to go to our planned festivities with the boys by myself - more selfishness. If Todd is still working on the big wholes at that time, I'm sure that he'll be pretty frustrated that it's not going as planned. Then we are supposed to be heading out of town on Friday to celebrate our friends wedding as well as hanging out with our friends in Iowa City. That's probably where my confidence is the most shaken - three days after we cut huge holes in our basement, we are going to pack up and leave town for three days. Will our holes be ready for us to leave them all on their own?

I'll keep you posted on the progress...I do have to be thankful that this time that my husband is cutting holes in our house he doesn't have to be on a ladder filling in the gap. He'll be able to do this one with his feet firmly on the ground - at least on the outside! (He put skylights in our Kansas City house.)

For the details - the plan is to fill the holes (each 4x2) with glass block windows that Todd is going to build after the holes are cut. The windows will be completely above ground so we don't have to create wells for them. Final little tidbit - my parents, who have been the great teachers and supporters of house projects, are on vacation in Canada this week!

1 comment:

arstreeter said...

Wow, I totally hear you on that one. When Tony does projects around the house, I try to ask him all these questions to see if he's planning on doing it how *I* would do it (not that I have any actual relevant experience) and to make sure he's thought everything through. Of course, he always knows what he's doing and does a good job, and I should learn to just shut up and leave the room. It's hard break the habit of being in control!