Monday, June 11, 2007

Is Yard Work Cross-Training?

I finished week 1 of the 10 week training schedule for a half marathon in August. I did 6 miles mostly in the rain yesterday to complete week 1. Not too bad, but of course know that week 1 is the easiest!

The training regiment that my cousin and I picked out has us running three times in the week - one interval training (speed work), a paced run (longer run pushing to go faster) and a long run on the weekend. We are supposed to "cross-train" on off days. Not sure what that will look like for me but probably yard work will be it.

Just in case you were curious, it is VERY hilly around here. Not just little bumps, but good hills in every direction. Yesterday I found one of the bike trails in town after running two miles of hills to get there. From our house I can go about 3/4 mile downhill most of the way, but that generally means that I have to run back up that gradual hill on the way back and that's not usually what I want to do.

One of the great things about running here is that I can get out in the country really quickly and not have to run in town all of the time. I'm sure that I'll be seeing a lot of rural Rolla area as I increase my mileage over the summer.

More yard work today for my cross-training and starting on the intervals again soon this week. It will be 4 800 meter runs...ouch!

1 comment:

Stef Tarapchak said...

Rock on! A half marathon! Good for you. Will be following your training progress for sure!! If you need me, I will be the one sitting on the deck with a lemonade cheering you on!!