Saturday, June 9, 2007

The colorful view


What a blessing to have so much color in the yard! The previous owners spent a lot of time and energy into making this a beautiful yard. These are some of the flowers that were blooming the other morning. My hope is that I can keep it up at least a little bit and enjoy it now as well as next year too. I am amazed at how much I enjoy messing around in the yard and the garden. I remember crying when I had to work in the garden when I was at home and being frustated when having to help can and freeze different crops. Now, I can't imagine not having some flowers and some garden around since I have a yard! It's still a lot of work, but really amazing the little things that God gave in His creation for us to enjoy.


Yesterday we bought an outdoor fire place and had to put it to the test with some roasted hot dogs. We didn't have enough sense to buy stuff for s'mores when we were buying the "campfire" (as the boys call it) but JL had somehow convinced me to buy hotdogs at the store the night before. I never buy hot dogs, I'm not sure why I let him do that but it was great foresight on his part and not another run to the grocery store! I even attempted to make potato salad. I don't think that I have ever made potato salad since I was at home because I thought the stuff at the store was better. But I had some potatoes sitting around and still trying to avoid that extra trip to the grocery store! It was also the first official harvest from the garden with fresh chives and parsley which made the day more special. The potato salad turned out OK, nothing wonderful and not something that I'm ready to pass on as a recipe. Helen our neighbor joined us for our hotdog roast - it was a good thing because we needed her to provide the sticks. We only moved plastic hangers and not any metal ones!

No other great insight this morning. I'm not sure when I'm going to do my 6 mile run this weekend. I'm in the first week of a 10 week training for a 1/2 marathon in August. I'm sure that I'll be adding lots of info here about that as the workouts get tougher! If anyone has some suggestions on inspiring podcasts, let me know because I get bored listening to music when I run. One last picture of my little water boy!



1 comment:

arstreeter said...

Info on our favorite podcasts here:

http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast
http://www.tonycampolo.org/media.php
http://www.marshillchurch.org/feeds/