Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September 2nd

Just the happenings of the day!

Another beautiful day around here...seems more like October 2nd, instead of September 2nd. Happy Birthday to my Dad today!

School this morning, we were up too late last night to get up to exercise this morning. We are on week 2 of Sonlight Core 1. Week 5 of Language Arts and Week 1 of Science...we are definitely getting in the groove. The little guy has decided that we should read a Psalm between each subject today...we've heard through Psalm 7 today...the big guy read us Charlotte's Web to and from piano lessons! I love cooperation - does that count as school time at our "home" location?

First day of piano lessons for my little guy! He's doing great and his teacher is so very very sweet. A nice treat is that I got to see a friend for awhile before lessons, her daughter is before us!

Stopped at I-44 Grocery on the way home from piano lessons. Found some vegan, gluten free, no sugar added instant soup mixes that I thought would be great for my friend who is going on a trip this weekend. Her diet is inspiring me though I haven't completely conformed...we did serve, cauliflower, carrots, celery, tomatoes and purple pepper for lunch! At I-44 they didn't have the bakers chocolate that I was looking for...but they had some other chocolate that I will try for my next chocolate pie. Got a great deal on organic balsamic vinegar too and some organic spaghetti sauce.

When we got home, I picked enough green beans from my few plants in the garden for dinner tonight. Picked quite a few grape tomatoes and a few volunteer roma's from the garden. I definitely need to plant more roma's next year. Romas have tons less water content in them and are more appropriate for canning. Oh, I forgot to spray the cheddar cauliflower with NEEM oil because it's getting eaten a little - it's finally making a head from being planted in early June.

Afternoon is trying to get Math and Language Arts done. I thought the big guy would do LA while piano lessons were happening, but he wanted to listen in. I'm really glad that I bought the MCP Phonics program for him to add to the Sonlight LA. He's S-L-O-W in getting it done, but the exercises are good for him to do. (I'm such a horrible speller...I'm learning lots about hard and soft c's and g's and when to use them and how to appropriately pronounce words.) We have done so much better when we do LA in the morning...note to self about next week!

I've promised some cartoons this afternoon when school work is done. I'm going to play with the admin of the CHESS website and see what some of our options are there. (I'm going to pray for CHESS, our home school group which is taking a lot of mental time right now.)

AWANA starts tonight and my boys are very very excited about it! I hope the little guy doesn't bug his teacher to say half of the book! He's so ready for more of a challenge and he's a great memorizer. I may need to get a bigger vest for the big guy...once we get past t-shirt season, I doubt that it will fit!

For dinner we are having a frozen meal for two from Tyson - had a $1 off coupon AND a rebate form so it will be free (the boys will split that)...and actually making about .50 off of the deal - and a veggie bean chili mix from Fantastic that I picked up for a buck today. We'll see how it tastes. I haven't decided how many of the suggestions that I'm going to add to the basic recipe...I think that I'll use some of my tomato juice that I have been canning/freezing instead of water to give it some more flavor and maybe some corn.

I have lots of tomato juice...when I've been making salsa, I have been getting about 5 pints of juice for the 5 pints of salsa that I make and it's still pretty thin. That's why I will plant roma's next year!

I just had some Shaklee Energizing Tea to energize me for the afternoon and we are off!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That was a fun post to read!
Glad to hear your boys are doing well with school.
It was nice to see you Tuesday!