Sunday, February 22, 2009

Broccoli Romaine Salad

I've brought this to many different events thanks to my friend Denise who gave me the recipe. (I can't bring to events where she is because it's one of her favorites to bring too.) 

Broccoli Romaine Salad
1 cup pecans
1 pkg Ramen noodles broken (discard seasoning)
3 T butter
1 bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped
1 head romaine lettuce, broken
4 spring onions

Sweet and Sour Dressing
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 T soy sauce

Combine dressing ingredients. Melt butter is medium frying pan and add pecans and noodles. Stir frequently to evenly brown.

In large salad bowl, combine lettuce, broccoli and onions. 

At the time of serving, combine lettuce mixture, with the noddle mixture and toss with desired amount of dressing. 

***Amy's notes***
I wrote the recipe as it was given to me.  All of my modifications are to the dressing except that I often forget to get onions though they do add to it! (Last night didn't have onions.)

I reduce the sugar by at least 1/4 cup. I also reduce the oil by 1/4 cup as well. I only use half a recipe of the dressing. It really is best to mix the ingredients right before serving and not ahead of time so the noodles stay crisp.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh, this looks great! Similar to a recipe I have, but yours looks easier...fun! :)
I know what you mean about friends' favorite recipes and being careful not to bring them to the same event!