Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bargains...re-thought

So I wrote my boring post on Saturday about what I bought on my grocery shopping trip...and I read through some other people's blogs about how little they spend per week on groceries. I got a little discouraged and have thought about it some more.

My conclusions:
  • Good bargains are good things!
  • Finding a good bargain is a lot of fun!
  • I need to limit my grocery list/couping finding time to about 1 hour per week. (Not including shopping, but shopping should not be a time to look for bargains.)
  • We eat a lot of food at home and that's a good thing.

Here's what I assume in every weekly grocery budget:
  • No eating out. (Way back when, we did this at least once a week, now it's a big treat.)
  • Feeding another couple at least once a week if not more.
  • Sunday potluck - main course and a side and possibly a desert or breakfast food
  • Sunday night is popcorn, fruit and cheese
  • Every other week we do eat with our in-laws, but the alternate week, we host them.
  • Four of us eat breakfast, lunch and supper/dinner and snacks at home.

All in all, that's a lot of food. We eat very little convenience food but we do eat quite a bit of fresh fruits and vegetables (generally not organic). Grocery shopping will not define my life. Eating well is a good thing and I don't have to beat myself up about buying something that isn't on sale and without a coupon! (I did make a quit trip to Kroger yesterday to get in on the buy 8, get $4 off on some things that were out of stock on Saturday - savings 72% but I only bought sale items and canned tomatoes, cereal and cheese do not make a meal! I also want to try a recipe for Boston Cream Pie I read this morning - no cheap cake flour that I know of.)

Happy Eating!

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Glad you decided not to beat yourself up about it. Since we buckled down on our grocery budget, I've noticed that we haven't been eating as many fruits and veggies. We bought a CSA share this summer, so it won't be a problem once that rolls around. I do use some coupons, and try to find good deals, but we live in a no-doubling coupon area and don't really have some of the places with the big sales they talk about in other blogs. People who blog about their grocery budgets also make that their job, and I try to tell myself that it's not my job so I don't have to be as good as they are!

Amy Q said...

you inspire me! i would be happy if i could just get a grocery list made :)

Rachel said...

I like your list/thoughts, Amy! I agree with Kelsey-it can truly be a "job" to fine-tune the grocery shopping budget. I've tried that before, but at this point in my life I simply don't have the time. Of course, I still shop at stores like Aldi's and try to be a wise buyer, but I don't over-analyze everything. :)
I love your idea of popcorn, cheese, and fruit for Sunday evenings! I'd love to try that! I'm always exhausted after being gone all day and rarely feel like preparing a meal.