Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tofu trial number 2

About 6 years after my first attempt at tofu, I got the courage to try again tonight.

A little background on try number 1 - I think it's the only meal that I have every prepared in our 9 years of marriage that my husband would not eat. So I've been a little gun shy about trying again. Honestly I've not been that huge of a fan of the stuff but I know that it's good for us (me especially for the protein). P.F. Chang's makes an awesome vegetarian lettuce wrap with little tofu cubes that both of us really like so I knew that it can taste good.

Today I tried again and all four of us ate it with stir-fry. My wonderful husband's response was that it was astonishingly better than the last time that I tried. He preferred to have it in the stir-fry as compared to sans any protein source but not as much as he would like chicken. It was definitely a complement since he rarely gets any other form of protein in his stir-fry beyond shrimp.

What did I do? I got extra firm tofu. I drained the liquid and then squeezed out more moisture between two towels with a plate and heavy canned veggies on top. I made it into small cubes (about 1cm cubes - the size of a Miquon 1 block) and fried them in peanut oil and soy sauce. I'll do it again sometime.

2 comments:

arstreeter said...

You can also retexturize it by freezing it! Just throw it in the freezer in the package. The freezing water will expand inside the tofu, creating little pockets (almost like yeast in a loaf of bread). After it thaws again, press the water out just like usual. It will have a spongy, firmer texture and turn a darker color. The new texture allows it to soak up a lot more of the marinade or flavors in your dish.

I do this every time I use tofu as a meat replacement. Obviously if you are pureeing it or want a silkier texture, you don't want to do it.

My new favorite tofu recipe:

1 block extra firm tofu
honey
soy sauce
minced fresh ginger
minced clove garlic

Freeze tofu until solid, thaw and press water out in a dishtowel. Slice into quarters lengthwise. Mix honey, soy sauce, ginger and garlic to taste (Sorry no measurements! About one part honey, two parts soy sauce, ginger equal to garlic amount). Marinade tofu at least 30 minutes. Fry in a non-stick pan on medium high with NO oil or sauce (this will draw even more moisture out). Cook both sides till browned.

My uncle declared this the "best tofu I've ever eaten" and he is picky!

-A

Jo Ann said...

I am by no means a tofu conniseur (sp?) but when I was a child I dealt with Dairy issues and my mom found this recipe: I liked it then, but haven't made it since I can eat the real thing now.
Cheeseless Cheesecake
2 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
2 T. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted (she used oleo, ICK)
1 t. cinnamon
Mix and pat in a 9x13 pan and chill
In blender combine the following:
1/2 c. boiling water
1 pkg lemon Jello
2 T. lemon juice
blend well and add a 10 1/2 oz pkg of tofu.
Fold in a 12oz pkg of cool whip
Pour on crust and chill.