Thursday, January 29, 2015

Thursday 14th Day Menu Plan Update

It's Thursday and the 14th day of my menu plan to use up food in our house.

We are diverting from the menu today and just going with frozen pizza and cheese sticks and some salad. Today was supposed to be Pancakes and Eggs and Sausage. The sausage had already been eaten which was the main item to use up...though I do have quite a bit of pancake mix on hand. In the end, I didn't go to the store to buy the pizza or the cheese sticks, they were already there. So, I don't feel I'm cheating too much.

This past Sunday I made lots of things from boxes to use up stuff according to plan. I had baked the turkey in my freezer since November earlier in the week. I had a box of Stove Top and I had a box of cheesy potatoes and a jar of gravy. At potluck I served turkey with the potatoes and stuffing and gravy! Someone else brought corn - it was a prefect bland colored from a box/bag kind of meal.

Soon after I started my clean out the frig/freezer/pantry campaign, I did go to Aldi and ended up spending $80...so I think I need to continue with the menu planning beyond next Sunday because I still have lots of food in my house. I even found a few things in my pantry that I had forgotten about. 

Here's my Aldi cart from the other day.

So I think that the best way for me to save money on groceries is to make a plan and then stay out of the grocery store! If I don't go, we eat the food in the house.

I did run into Aldi today and bought 5 things, only 5 things and I had enough cash in my food money stash to cover it! I am proud of myself for doing the minimalist shopping!

No comments: