Saturday, March 29, 2008

Next race, 1 week away

My next scheduled half marathon (not a full, just 13 miles) is next Sunday in St. Louis. I'm excited for race weekend because my cousin is coming with some friends and we have made plans for Saturday. I have had some serious training motivation issues lately. My hubby has been on spring break the last week and the week before spring break was very challenging for him. I got out of my normal schedule and just had a hard time getting over the big weeks! I have only skipped a couple of work outs but it's definitely been a mental challenge to get them in. I also wanted to put in some more mileage than the training plan called for which meant that I was running two more miles on the long run.

Today I went to run outside and it was sprinkling. It was only about 40 outside so I running in the rain was not very pleasant sounding. So I decided to go indoors - the thought of 8 miles on the treadmill is not really fun for me. We have a great rec center but I still get bored running inside. My husband suggested that I alternate treadmill and the 1/10mi track. I didn't quite do that, but I did do two miles on the track and the other 6 on the treadmill. It became a mind game to get through the run as best as possible so I tried increasing my speed the last 1/4 of every mile and doing fun stuff like that and I made it through!

This week I am looking forward to new shoes and a lighter running schedule and then race weekend!

No comments: