Tuesday, July 10, 2007

New visitors to the garden.

We came home Sunday night from a weekend trip to Iowa City and I was excited to check out the status of the yellow tomatoes that were growing nicely before we left. We had some new visitors to the garden over the weekend and they were quite interested in the tomatoes and the tops of the green bean plants.

The previous owner had left a fence and some posts that he used around the garden and now we know why. There are deer that like to come around and munch on gardens and they found mine and had a nice little salad of a meal.

So yesterday up when the posts and three foot fencing around the garden. That will stop them from the green beans for sure (there are still beans to be had, but there aren't any top leaves) and now we'll have to wait awhile for some more tomatoes. I'm not sure that my fence will stop them though from most of the tomatoes because I think that they'll be able to munch above the fence.

While putting up the fence I found little white bugs on the roma plant. On closer inspection there were white and green bugs on the top and bottoms of the leaves. My research on the Internet suggested a nice power wash of the leaves if there were too many to wipe off by hand. That plant got a power wash this morning. The next option is to use some soapy water as well.

I would love to be getting fresh tomatoes from the garden but I'll be patient and share with my other outdoor friends. I'll just have to make some more basil and be content with that for now - it is really yummy!

No comments: